Keepers of the Light
Sept. 27-29, 2019
The Audubon Center, Sandstone, MN
Before You Arrive
- Complete your Participant Info Form.
The Audubon Center of the North Woods
on Grindstone Lake in Sandstone, MN
54165 Audubon Drive
Sandstone, MN 55072
If searching for our location online, use Google Maps – Audubon Center GPS coordinates (46.117186384284004, -92.99793720245361)
Driving directions to the Audubon Center From the Twin Cities and Duluth:
- From Interstate 35, exit on the Sandstone Exit 191.
- Go west on Hwy 61 just over two miles.
- Take a right on County Road 27, cross the Munger bike trail, turn left at the ‘T’ (Grindstone Lake Road) and go just over three miles.
- Take a right on County Road 17 (Fox Road) and go about 100 feet.
- Turn left between the stone pillars (Audubon Road – our driveway).
- PROCEED directly to main office/dining hall for check-in – just follow our mile-long driveway all the way until it ends at the parking lot and the office.
As promoted, this is an eco-friendly Audubon Lodge that allow us to be responsible 3D keepers knowing our stay is supported by solar and geothermal power and many other conservation measures.
- Casual, dormitory-style accommodations – Please see packing list below and note that you provide your own linens/sleeping bag, etc. – kind of like big-people camping/dorm rooms but very spacious!
- Shared rooms housing up to 4 adults (single bunk-beds) depending on total attendees – at this time we are only 2 persons to a room verses four – so we can spread out. You will be given a room number upon arrival.
- Shower, bathroom and two sinks in each room
Arrival and Check In
Check in will begin at 5 p.m.
This is a very casual Lodge and Retreat where we will be spending a great amount of our time outdoors, both day/night, so please pack accordingly for clothing and outerwear. We will also be holding a meditative movement session and sound healing session, so make sure you bring/wear comfortable, breathable attire. Also remember Minnesota September weather can be unpredictable, so make sure to bring along outdoor appropriate clothing, and shoes as well.
Meals are provided in your Retreat fee; but you are welcome to bring any personal additional snacks, beverages, etc. for your room, but there is not cooking/cooling onsite options.
The site offers water, tea, coffee for meals. We will have a communal alcohol/beverage bar area where we will be hosting limited selection of wine and beer for the Friday and Saturday evenings. Feel free add to this communal bar if you choose and/or bring and keep your own personal beverages of your choice to enjoy while on-site in your room. They do not have an ice machine on the premises, and don’t supply ice but we will have a couple coolers full. If bringing wine, remember your personal corkscrew if needed in your room but we will also have some in the communal bar area.
Please be aware that their water comes from a well and has a lot of iron and minerals in it. Although the water in the dorms may smell and taste different from the water you are used to, it is not harmful to use or consume. They have several double-filtered drinking fountains/water bottle filling stations that help take out much of the natural metallic taste of the water. Remember to bring your water bottle (and travel coffee mug, if a coffee drinker).
ATM and Internet
They do not have an ATM on premises but can exchange for cash via credit card in their gift store; there is a $3 fee per transaction.
They have wireless internet access in the lodging buildings.
Suggested Packing List
_____Sleeping bag or bed linens
_____Towels & Washcloths
_____Toothbrush & toothpaste/Personal Toiletries & Medications
_____Comfortable lounging clothes
_____Appropriate outerwear for exploring the great outdoors, including raincoat/jacket (outdoor activities go on rain or shine)
_____Comfortable walking shoes or boots (they offer over 7 miles of trails)
_____Ceremonial Drum(s) rattles, musical instruments
_____Yoga Mat if you have one
If you have questions about the retreat, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.